Utah's 45 day legislative session is in full swing and Tuesday February 13th was Sexual Violence Prevention Advocacy Day on the Hill. The Rape Recovery Center's Executive Director, Mara Haight, and Development Director, Morgan Stinson, spent some time with our state legislators advocating for survivor-centered policy and state funding the center needs to serve the increasing number of survivors coming forward to report sexual assaults.
Our partner agency, the Utah Coalition Against Sexual Assault (UCASA), has created an excellent bill tracker to help you stay up to date on legislation that impacts survivors of sexual violence. Check out UCASA's newly updated website for more news and information about the 2018 legislative session.
Due to the unique momentum around sexual violence that we have seen on a local and national level over the past few years, the Rape Recovery Center is asking the Utah State Legislature for a funding appropriation of $150,000 to support our Hospital Response Team. We ended our day on the hill testifying to the Executive Offices and Criminal Justice Appropriations Subcommittee about this request.
We are hopeful that our request will be receive a high priority ranking from this subcommittee before it gets sent on to the Executive Appropriations Committee. For more information on what this funding would help us pay for, check out the infographic below.
WE NEED YOU TO CONTACT OUR STATE LEGISLATORS AND LET THEM KNOW YOU SUPPORT THE $150,000 FUNDING REQUEST FOR OUR HOSPITAL RESPONSE TEAM.
Scroll up to read our blog post about our Executive Director and Development Director's day on the Hill.
HOW?? Call, text, or email the members of the Executive Appropriations Committee and tell them why they should prioritize our funding request. Check out their contact info below!
Feel free to reference the script below or share your own reasons this request is personally important to you.
“Hello, my name is _______ and I would like you to prioritize the Rape Recovery Center’s $150,000 ongoing funding request to support their Hospital Response Team. These on-call Advocates show up to support survivors for the duration of their Rape Kit, 24 hours a day, across Salt Lake County. Increases in demand continue at unprecedented rates, and funds from the State of Utah are needed to ensure every survivor in our community receives the support and resources they deserve during this critical time."
Then...let us know! Post a picture or video of you contacting these Legislators, tag us @raperecoverycenter and include #fundsurvivors to help us spread the word!
Executive Appropriations committee Members
- Adams, J. Stuart | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-593-1776
- Briscoe, Joel K. | email@example.com | 801-946-9791
- Davis, Gene | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-647-8924
- Escamilla, Luz | email@example.com | 801-550-6434
- Gibson, Francis D. | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-491-3763
- Hollins, Sandra| email@example.com | 801-363-4257
- Hughes, Gregory H.| no email available| 801-432-0362
- Iwamoto, Jani | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-580-8414
- King, Brian S. | email@example.com | 801-560-0769
- Knotwell, John | no email available | 801-449-1834
- Knudson, Peter C. | firstname.lastname@example.org | 435-730-2026
- Last, Bradley G., House Chair | no email available | 435-817-0064
- Mayne, Karen | email@example.com | 801-232-6648
- Niederhauser, Wayne L. | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-742-1606
- Okerlund, Ralph | email@example.com | 435-979-7077
- Romero, Angela | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-722-4972
- Schultz, Mike, House Vice Chair | email@example.com | 801-859-7713
- Stevenson, Jerry W., Senate Chair | firstname.lastname@example.org | 801-678-3147
- Van Tassell, Kevin T., Senate Vice Chair | email@example.com | 435-790-0675
- Wilson, Brad R. | no email available | 801-425-1028
To access a spreadsheet with the above contact info click here.