Top Leave This Site

Know that it’s never too late to call. Even if the sexual assault happened years ago, the Rape Recovery Center can still help. Many victims do not realize they need help until months or years later.

What should I do if I am sexually assaulted?

  1. Assess your physical safety. Reach out to support systems if they can assist you in reaching physical safety.
  2. Know that what happened to you was not your fault.
  3. If you would like to get medically checked out and/or possibly undergo the forensic evidence collection process you can do one of the following:
    • Visit an emergency room nearest to your location.
    • Visit the Family Justice Center. Call their 24-hour crisis line at 801-537-8600 or 1-855-992-2752 .
      • If you’d like to discuss the differences or need more information about if these options are best for you (and your healing process) call the Rape Recovery Center 24-hour Crisis Line at (801)467-7273. Please note this exam is covered by the Utah Office for Victims of Crime in accordance with the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). What happened was not your fault, and the financial  cost of this exam should not be placed on you.
  4. If you know that you do not want to report at this time, there are some things you should still consider:
    • Get medical attention. Even with no physical injuries, it is important to determine the risks of STDs and pregnancy.
    • Call the Rape Recovery Center Crisis Line (801-467-7273) or the National Sexual Assault Hotline (1-800-656-4673) for free, confidential counseling, 24 hours a day.

What should I do if I am a victim of incest?

  1. Know that this is not your fault. No one deserves to be abused. You do not have to handle this on your own.
  2. Your healing process is our priority. We want you to know that you can seek services at the Rape Recovery Center (14 years old or older) without having to tell us your name or age. We want you to know that you have the right to speak out and to get help.
  3. Tell a trusted adult (teacher, school counselor, doctor, friend’s parent, etc.)
    • You can also call the professionals that can help in these situations:
      • Child Protective Services (CPS) 801-538-4100
      • 24-hour Child Abuse Reporting 801-538-4377
      • Your local law enforcement agency
  4. Please note that mandatory reporting laws are in place for the protection of vulnerable populations. Mandatory reporting laws apply to crisis line workers if you disclose personal information. If you need to think through these options in an anonymous way please call our crisis line today.